This article will discuss 5 reasons as to why you should consider taking a sandwich / placement year.
1. Real-world experience. Internships are a great way to apply knowledge from books to real life scenarios, it can help explore different career paths and help you understand what you find interesting and what you don’t
2. Networking. This is a chance for you to build a professional network within the company, which can make outstanding personal references after you finish the internship
3. Professionalism. Internships provide soft skills needed in a workplace. This is a good way to practice and learn new skills during your year on placement, to understand how a professional workplace functions as well as learning new skills that may be transferrable after your internship and onto a progressive career
4. Likes and dislikes. While an internship may be about walking away feeling excited and passionate about what you have learnt during the year, it may not always be the case. Internships are designed to help you know what you like about the job as well as what you dislike, even if you hated the year internships help you figure out what type of job you don’t want while interning, which can prevent you from accepting an ill-fitting job after you graduate, it’s a one big learning curve!
5. Build your resume. There is no better way to build your resume with relevant experience to your degree than an internship! Most companies and jobs that you apply for after university will expect some relevant professional experience (even in entry-level jobs). Having one internship experience on your resume is a way to stand out from competition too!
Get applying today to make your degree worthwhile in the long run